This recipe is from Curly's Pub located in Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers. I love beer cheese soup. This stuff is so creamy and so easy to make with easy to find ingredients. If you have an immersion blender you can blitz this right in the pan. Otherwise you can take it to your blender. Top with some unbuttered popcorn. GO PACK GO!!! :) UPDATED: I checked the recipe and it did call for 6 cans of beer, but it cannot be right. I called Curly's Pub at the stadium and got the correction from them at 2 cans of beer. The recipe they had given out was for the larger amounts made for the restaurant. 6 Cans of beer makes a bit more sense then. LOL.
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beer
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 10 slices American cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sauté carrots, onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Whisk flour into sautéed vegetables and allow to cook for 1 minute while whisking constantly.
- Add beer to vegetable/flour mixture and whisk until all the flour has dissolved into beer. Add water, chicken base and heavy cream. Bring to a light simmer. Turn down burner and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream and American cheese slices.
- With a burr mixer, puree vegetables until there are no large pieces and the American cheese, cream cheese and sour cream are completely melted. Add remaining cheese using a whisk.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.