Recipe by PaulaG
A similar recipe was in Light and Tasty a few years ago. I tweaked the recipe and came up with my version of this comforting soup.
Top Review by katew
Terrific mid week meal. I clearly did not add enough fluid or my noodles soaked up a large amount as mine was not as soupy as the photo. I will add further stock to the leftovers. Nonetheless it was really tasty and we had some crusty bread on the side. I added a red pepper diced up too. This is my favourite style of recipe as it uses staple ingredients and does not warrant a shopping trip in order to get dinner on the table.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tri-color spiral pasta
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, celery, and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in the flour and mixing well.
- Gradually add broth, tomatoes, carrot slices, seasonings and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until carrot is crisp tender.
- Add pasta, return to boil and cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to personal taste, serve hot.