Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
'Curly-locks, Curly-locks, wilt thou be mine? Thou shalt not wash the dishes, nor yet feed the swine; But sit on a cushion, and sew a fine seam And feed upon strawberries, sugar, and cream.' -Mother Goose
- 3 -4 strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced (or more depending on the size of the strawberries)
- 1 -2 teaspoon raw sugar or 1 -2 teaspoon superfine sugar or 1 -2 teaspoon demerara sugar, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons half-and-half, heavy cream, homemade whipped cream (read *Note) or 2 -3 tablespoons drained plain yogurt aka Greek yogurt (read *Note)
- whole mint leaves or lemon verbena leaf
- fresh basil (just a few thin strands!)
- cracked black pepper (very light sprinkle!)
- ground cinnamon (very light sprinkle!)
- ground cardamom (very light sprinkle!)
- smoked salt (very light sprinkle!)
- *Note: [NO] Cool Whip!
- Place the sliced strawberries in a pretty serving dish.
- Sprinkle sugar over the strawberries.
- Pour half and half or heavy cream on and around the strawberries. Or, if you prefer, add a dollop of real whipped cream or spoonful of drained plain yogurt (aka Greek yogurt).
- For a special touch, garnish with one of the optional ingredients.
O.M.G. <br/>DH made this for me as I was sick and all I wanted was fruit at the time.<br/>This was just the thing and was heaven.<br/>Thanks Cookgirl.
We had a lot of fun doing a berry tasting. We tried all the variations, I sliced or halved the berries and and then sprinkle a slice with an individual topping and tried it first naked and then with cream added. I was suprised how much I liked the pepper and smoked salt.
At the end we tried a slice with everything that was quite good. My favorite combos were salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cinnamon, mint. I don't think this was quite how this was supposed to be eaten but we enjoyed the experience! Made for ZWT 8 by one of The Wild Bunch
whole mint leaves - 4 star
fresh basil (just a few thin strands!) - 3 star
cracked black pepper (very light sprinkle!) - 5 star
ground cinnamon (very light sprinkle!) 4 star
ground cardamom (very light sprinkle!) 3 star - but my cardamom is old it could go up :)
smoked salt (very light sprinkle!) 5 star - I used 7 Wood Smoked salt I purchased at Sugarpill in Seattle - it smells like a campfire in a can!