Recipe by COOKGIRl
'Curly-locks, Curly-locks, wilt thou be mine? Thou shalt not wash the dishes, nor yet feed the swine; But sit on a cushion, and sew a fine seam And feed upon strawberries, sugar, and cream.' -Mother Goose
- 3 -4 strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced (or more depending on the size of the strawberries)
- 1 -2 teaspoon raw sugar or 1 -2 teaspoon superfine sugar or 1 -2 teaspoon demerara sugar, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons half-and-half, heavy cream, homemade whipped cream (read *Note) or 2 -3 tablespoons drained plain yogurt aka Greek yogurt (read *Note)
- whole mint leaves or lemon verbena leaf
- fresh basil (just a few thin strands!)
- cracked black pepper (very light sprinkle!)
- ground cinnamon (very light sprinkle!)
- ground cardamom (very light sprinkle!)
- smoked salt (very light sprinkle!)
- *Note: [NO] Cool Whip!
- Place the sliced strawberries in a pretty serving dish.
- Sprinkle sugar over the strawberries.
- Pour half and half or heavy cream on and around the strawberries. Or, if you prefer, add a dollop of real whipped cream or spoonful of drained plain yogurt (aka Greek yogurt).
- For a special touch, garnish with one of the optional ingredients.