Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Got this from "The Italian Country Table" where its called "Roman Salad". We enjoy it, hope you do too. I don't always use the belgian endive so I guess you don't have to either. I like to serve this with grilled meats.
- 1 head curly endive lettuce
- 2 head Belgian endive
- 2 whole salted anchovies or 3 anchovies packed in oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- Wash greens and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Bone anchovies if needed and mash together with the garlic with a mortar and pestle into a paste.
- Blend in the vinegar and let sit about 5 minutes.
- Toss the greens with the anchovy mixture.
- Add olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
I absolutely love the flavor of anchovies. This salad is deliciously simple and has great balance. Use the best olive oil you can afford. I served these greens with braised lentils and a poached egg. A large, fresh, squeeze of lemon juice finished the whole plate (I love lemon with anchovy and egg). The salted filets are the way to go... but I am sure a squeeze of anchovy paste would work in a pinch. A nice sea salt (I used Hawaiian Alaea) and fresh cracked pepper are necessary. This is a simple salad and all the ingredients need to shine.