Recipe by Chef Shadows
Lean sirloin roast should be cooked rare so it stays tender; the mushroom jus helps keep the meat moist. The roast must cure overnight, which will also keep it juicy. Rewarm the sliced leftovers in the jus and serve them on kaiser rolls. Mushroom Jus: MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS Roast makes 8 servings with leftovers.
Top Review by yogiclarebear
This is a great recipe. I followed everything almost exactly. I cured overnight, but maybe would even longer next time. My roast was only 3 1/2 lbs, so I adjusted accordingly, and I did lower cooking temp to 275 because I thought it was cooking too fast, being smaller. I took the center temp up to 150* but DH wants more rare next time. Great nonetheless and will definately use this again for my next buffalo roast! The mushroom jus was well liked. Thanks for posting this recipe.
Ingredients for roast
- 6 cups water
- 6 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon allspice berry
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 1⁄2 lbs sirloin tip buffalo roast
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Ingredients for Mushroom Jus
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushroom
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Directions for Roast:.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, garlic, salt, sugar, allspice and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, then let the brine cool to room temperature.
- In a very large bowl, cover the buffalo roast with the brine and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Pat the buffalo roast dry with paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until almost smoking.
- Add the roast, widest side down, and brown over high heat, about 4 minutes.
- Continue cooking, turning, until browned all over, about 10 more minutes.
- Transfer to a large roasting pan and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 120° for very rare.
- Let the roast rest for 20 minutes.
- Cut the roast in half across the grain.
- Thinly slice each half across the grain. Arrange the slices on plates and serve with the Mushroom Jus.
- Directions for Mushroom Jus:.
- MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS.
- Put the shiitakes in a bowl and add the hot water.
- Cover and let stand until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms from the water and cut off and discard the stems.
- Swish the mushrooms in the soaking water to loosen any grit.
- Finely chop the mushrooms; reserve the soaking liquid.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat until starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce and the garlic and cook over high heat until the soy sauce evaporates and the mushrooms brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the reserved soaking liquid, stopping when you reach the grit, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir well.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- MAKE AHEAD The jus can be refrigerated overnight.
- Rewarm before serving.