Recipe by Chef Schwettybals
This recipe is a classic version of chicken soup that adds all the original ingredients from some of the older versions I have found. All these versions used certain food types that were high in natural compounds that helped fight off the common cold and flu.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 bone-in skinless chicken breast half
- 453.59 g bone-in skinless chicken thigh
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 473.18 ml chopped onions
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 236.59 ml chopped turnip
- 236.59 ml chopped parsnip
- 118.29 ml celery, slices
- 118.29 ml sliced mushrooms
- 14.79 ml minced fresh garlic
- 14.79 ml caraway seed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 236.59 ml pinot noir wine
- 946.36 ml unsalted chicken stock
- 236.59 ml cubed sweet potato
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, cook 10 minutes; turn thighs after 5 minutes. Cool; shred. Discard bones.
- 2. Add onion, carrot, turnips, parsnips, mushrooms, and celery to 1qt pot or dutch oven; sauté 10 minutes. Add garlic and caraway seeds; sauté 1 minute. Place herb sprigs and bay leaves on cheesecloth. Tie into a sachet and add to pot.
- 3. Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes. Add chicken and stock. Cover; reduce heat. Cook 7 minutes.
- 4. Add sweet potatoes; cook 6 minutes or until soft. Discard sachet. Stir in chopped parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.