2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 8 pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 large yellow onion, halved through the root end
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large stockpot, combine the chicken, 12 cups water, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and tarragon.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Decrease heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- 4Remove the chicken and carrots from the pot and set aside.
- 5Strain the remaining liquid and discard the solids.
- 6Return the strained broth to the pot, stir in the rice, bring to a gentle simmer, and cook until the rice is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, once the chicken is cool enough to handle, pick the meat off the bones, discarding the bones and skin.
- 8Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and thinly slice the carrots.
- 9Return the chicken and carrots to the pot.
- 10Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 11Adjust seasoning and stir in the parsley just before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cure-All Chicken Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.2
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 841.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 24.3 g