1/1 Photo of Curanto En Olla (Steamed Seafood, Meats, Potato Bread, and Vege
I was looking for something to make to honor the Chilean miners who were finally rescued after 70 days. I came across this dish which is traditionally a celebration dish or party dish. It used to be made in a hole in the ground, but that is impractical for the home cook, lol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt
- 8 potatoes, peeled
- 4 ounces salt pork, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided and softened
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 lb fresh mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 4 lbs littleneck clams, cleaned
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 heads cabbage
- 1 lb pork ribs (smoked)
- 2 lbs linguica sausage or 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 lb snap peas or 1 lb sugar snap pea
- 1In a large bowl, combine chicken, peppers, garlic, oregano and about 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to combine, cover, and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- 2Cut up 6 of the potatoes and boil in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes; drain and transfer to a bowl and mash.
- 3Meanwhile, cook salt pork, over medium heat until crisp, about 15-20 minutes.
- 4Grate remaining potatoes with the larger holes of a box grater; squeeze out water and place in another bowl.
- 5Add HALF the mashed potatoes, to the grated potatoes, 1 tablespoon butter, salt to taste; mix to combine.
- 6Form mixture into 8 balls; flatten each ball and place 1 teaspoon of the salt pork in the middle.
- 7Form potato around pork, then flatten again; set aside.
- 8Add remaining tablespoon of butter to remaining mashed potatoes, along with the flour; knead to mix well.
- 9Roll around in your hands to form 8 balls; flatten to 3-inch discs and set aside.
- 10Place mussels, clams, and wine in a large stockpot.
- 11Cover with a layer of individual cabbage leaves (I left them raw and just gently pulled them off. Some tore, but that doesn't really matter. You could place cabbage in the microwave a few minutes to make the leaves more pliable).
- 12Place chicken, pork ribs, and sausage on top; cover with another layer of cabbage leaves.
- 13Arrange both types of potato cakes on top, along with the peas.
- 14Cover all with a damp towel and pot lid.
- 15Heat pot to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to medium and steam for 1 hour.
- 16To serve: arrange potato cakes and peas on a platter, then arrange the seafood and meats around them, on additional cabbage leaves.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curanto En Olla (Steamed Seafood, Meats, Potato Bread, and Vege
Serving Size: 1 (1009 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1059.6
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 198.5 mg
- Sodium 1884.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 75.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: