Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Heart shaped ice cream sandwiches. A perfect valentines day treat. I got this recipe from the Parent's web site. I made this with my kids for Valentines day, they were fun to make and taste good too!!! The cookie does stay quite crunchy, next time I will try using brown sugar instead.
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml cocoa powder
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 946.38 ml ice cream, softened (any flavor)
- In bowl, combine flour and cocoa.
- In large bowl, with mixer on high, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Reduce mixer to low, and beat in flour mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Line 9 x13-inch baking pan with plastic wrap. Smooth ice cream evenly into pan, and freeze 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- On floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts, then transfer to baking sheet, 1 inch apart. With tines of fork, prick the tops of the cookies.
- Bake 12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes and transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Using same cookie cutter, cut out heart-shaped portions of ice cream. Sandwich between two cookies, and place in freezer until ready to serve.
These are so fancy and delicious. In addition to the 2.5-inch ice cream sandwhiches, I also used a 6-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to make 2 gigantic ice cream sandwiches. Rolling the side of the sandwiches into sprinkles makes them look festive and cute. The only reason that I am giving this a four star is because the cookies seem to be a little hard. Will try to add some melted chocolate to the dough to softened them up next time.
Made these for my DH for Valentines Day which is our anniversary too. They were pretty easy to make. I had a little trouble getting the dough rolled out but finally got it to where I could cut the heart shapes out. I got 5 large valentine sandwiches out of this recipe. Can't wait to give one to my hubby :) I already had me one and it was delicious. Great idea for any holiday too. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!