Recipe by jake ryley'smommy
Heart shaped ice cream sandwiches. A perfect valentines day treat. I got this recipe from the Parent's web site. I made this with my kids for Valentines day, they were fun to make and taste good too!!! The cookie does stay quite crunchy, next time I will try using brown sugar instead.
Top Review by SharonChen
These are so fancy and delicious. In addition to the 2.5-inch ice cream sandwhiches, I also used a 6-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to make 2 gigantic ice cream sandwiches. Rolling the side of the sandwiches into sprinkles makes them look festive and cute. The only reason that I am giving this a four star is because the cookies seem to be a little hard. Will try to add some melted chocolate to the dough to softened them up next time.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints ice cream, softened (any flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine flour and cocoa.
- In large bowl, with mixer on high, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Reduce mixer to low, and beat in flour mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Line 9 x13-inch baking pan with plastic wrap. Smooth ice cream evenly into pan, and freeze 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- On floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts, then transfer to baking sheet, 1 inch apart. With tines of fork, prick the tops of the cookies.
- Bake 12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes and transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Using same cookie cutter, cut out heart-shaped portions of ice cream. Sandwich between two cookies, and place in freezer until ready to serve.