Recipe by bmxmama
Vanilla cake from the Cupcake Cafe. *NOTE* After some of my finer stints as a sleuth I found out this was originally posted by Mean Chef, and adopted by me in September 2006.
Top Review by Sissalou
This cake tasted NOTHING like the Cupcake Cafe Vanilla Cake. It had way too many eggs in it and the size of the cake pans recommended were way too small. I used a 9" and it baked over. The baking time was off by at least 15 minutes. Don't waste your time with this recipe. It was horrible.
- 9 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups pastry flour (can substitute 2/3 all-purpose flour and 1/3 cake flour)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter or spray two 8 or 9 inch cake pans and line the bottom with parchment. Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar together; beat in yolks; add vanilla and set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- Mix dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately (in three increments starting with the dry ingredients) into the egg/butter mixture - do not overbeat.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Fill pans about 2/3 full and bake for about 35-40 minutes until a tester comes out clean - cakes should feel slightly springy when pressed in the middle.