Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great chocolate cake from the "Cupcake Cafe"
- 1 lb butter
- 2 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 7 eggs
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 1⁄2 cups pastry flour (or use 2/3 all-purpose flour and 1/3 cake flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- Butter two 10-inch round layer cake pans and dust them with cocoa.
- Or butter and line with parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, then melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water and allow it to cool.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- Add the vanilla to the buttermilk.
- Add the cooled melted chocolate to the eggs and butter.
- Then alternately mix in the dry ingredients and the buttermilk.
- Fill your pans about half full with batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Insert a straw or cake tester into the centers of layers.
- If it comes out clean (i. e., without any batter sticking to it) the cake is done and should be removed from the oven.
- The cakes can also be tested for doneness by pressing on them gently in the center.
- If they have a slightly springy feel, they are ready to come out.
- Cool and frost as desired.