1 hr 5 mins
A great chocolate cake from the "Cupcake Cafe"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb butter
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 7 eggs
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 1/2 cups pastry flour (or use 2/3 all-purpose flour and 1/3 cake flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1Butter two 10-inch round layer cake pans and dust them with cocoa.
- 2Or butter and line with parchment.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- 4Cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- 5Beat in the eggs, then melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water and allow it to cool.
- 6Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- 7Add the vanilla to the buttermilk.
- 8Add the cooled melted chocolate to the eggs and butter.
- 9Then alternately mix in the dry ingredients and the buttermilk.
- 10Fill your pans about half full with batter.
- 11Bake in the preheated oven about 40 to 45 minutes.
- 12Insert a straw or cake tester into the centers of layers.
- 13If it comes out clean (i. e., without any batter sticking to it) the cake is done and should be removed from the oven.
- 14The cakes can also be tested for doneness by pressing on them gently in the center.
- 15If they have a slightly springy feel, they are ready to come out.
- 16Cool and frost as desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cupcake Cafe Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 968.1
- Calories from Fat 456
- Total Fat 50.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 247.9 mg
- Sodium 902.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 64.2 g
- Protein 15.0 g