Recipe by blucoat
In this easy and healthy side dish, the carrots are steamed and then tossed with earthy cumin-scented olive oil, fragrant tangerine zest, and zingy and colorful chives. For a nice presentation, use the smallest carrots you can find, with the greens still attached. If your carrots taste starchy, add a little honey to sweeten them up. This recipe is from Christine Hanna's new cookbook, "The Winemaker Cooks: Menus, Parties, and Pairings".
- 2 lbs small carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated tangerine zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh tangerine juice or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a covered steamer set over simmering water, cook the carrots until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until fragrant. Add the cumin and sauté just until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in the tangerine zest and stir, then add the carrots and toss to coat. Add the chives, butter, tangerine juice, salt, and pepper and toss again to coat. Serve immediately.