Recipe by sprout 13
Okra and tomatoes are a classic combo. This is a delicious, spicy variation that's really easy to make. I made this often in college and turned my okra-skeptical roommate into a fan. I like this served over brown rice, but it's also great thinned out into a stew.
Top Review by East Wind Goddess
I enjoyed this as a side dish with blackened catfish, but it would be great as a main dish as well. Both okra and cumin have strong and unique flavors: if you like them both as I do, you'll love the combination in this soul food recipe. I used fresh okra and found I needed to add a bit more moisture (white cooking wine), which probably doesn't happen with the frozen okra. This is a keeper, and I'll definitely be making it again.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno, chopped finely
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lb frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute onion for a few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and cumin and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Don't brown the garlic or it will get bitter.
- Add okra, tomatoes, and tomato juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- You can add water to make a soupier dish, or leave it fairly dry. I add 1/4-1/2 cup.
- Cover and cook 5-10 minutes. Okra should soften and the juices will become quite thick.