Recipe by kitchenslave03
From Cooking Light May 2008. Good with this raita, cucumber raita, or mango chutney. I don't use the food processor as specified, I just chop everything very small in the beginning.
- 2 1⁄4 cups baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 16 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed 18x14 inch sheets
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare samosas: Cook potato and carrot in boiling water 8 min or til tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet over med heat. Add onion to pan; cook 10 min or til lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper; cook 2 min, stirring frequently. Stir in cumin and next 5 ingredients (through turmeric); cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add potato mixture, peas, cilantro, and juice, stirring well to combine; cool slightly. Place half of filling in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Spoon chopped filling into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining filling.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on large cutting board or work surface (cover remaining dough with damp towel to prevent drying) ; lightly coat phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Fold phyllo sheet in half lengthwise to form an 18x7 inch rectangle. Spoon about 3 T filling onto bottom of rectangle, leaving a 1 inch border. Fold left bottom corner over mixture, forming a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to the end of the phyllo strip. Tuck edges under triangle; lightly coat seem with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo, cooking spray and filling to form 16 samosas. Place samosas, seam side down, 2 inches apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Mist tops of samosas with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 13 minutes with 1 baking sheet on bottom rack and 1 baking sheet on second rack from top. Rotate baking sheets top to bottom and front to back. Bake an additional 12 min or til lightly browned.
- To prepare raita, combine yogurt and mint. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with samosas.