Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The warm distinctive flavor of cumin will make your kitchen a fragrant haven as this cooks. The flavor of cumin is just delicate enough not to be too assertive or pungent in this dish. This is another in the collection of chicken recipes I have acquired to make for my husband (I don't eat chicken), and has won much favor from him.
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons ghee
- 4 black peppercorns
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 chicken pieces, skinned (thighs, drumsticks are good)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Heat pan and dry-roast 1 tablespoons of the cumin seeds until they turn fragrant - set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the remaining cumin seeds, peppercorns and cardamoms, till aromatic.
- Add the chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Add the ground coriander and cumin, and salt, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, stir and mix thoroughly with the spices.
- Cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes approximately.
- Add the garam masala and the reserved cumin seeds (from the first step), and allow to cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with a raita on the side if desired.
This was a nice easy recipe! I added about 3 tbsp of water and cooked it for about 45 mins. ( I am fussy about having well cooked chicken!) I would definitely make this again...
Smelled WONDERFUL. I used chili powder instead of fresh chilies and I think next time I need to use a lot more than I did (about 1tsp). Also next time I'll add the garam masala at the beginning of cooking instead of at the end so the flavor has a chance to stick.
The flavor in this chicken is terrific. It is very highly seasoned and uses LOTS of cumin. If this is a flavor you like, then this recipe is for you! I used a few red pepper flakes instead of the green chilies and otherwise followed your ingredient list. The smell while this was cooking is very pungent. (If you have someone in your family with breathing problems or asthma it might be a problem in your house as well.) I will make this one again with a few changes. I will probably make a paste of the seasoning and apply to boneless breasts so that it will reduce the cooking time and cook on the outdoor grill. Thank you for sharing your recipe Varsha.