Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a great alternative to traditional potato latkes. You can serve these on Hannukah or all year round. Pair this with with "Apple, Green Onion, and Jalapeño Salsa" (I've posted the recipe). It's an outstanding combination. These recipes are from Bon Appétit Magazine (December 2004). (Latkes can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 350°F oven on a baking sheet until crisp, about 10 minutes.)
- 6 cups coarsely shredded peeled beets (about 6 medium)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- canola oil (for frying)
- Place beets in large bowl; press with paper towels to absorb any moisture. (The more moisture absorbed, the better.)
- In another large bowl, whisk flour and next 5 ingredients. Mix in beets, then eggs.
- Pour enough oil into large skillet to cover bottom; heat over medium heat. Working in batches, drop beet mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet; spread to 3 1/2-inch rounds. Fry until golden, about 5 minutes per side.Transfer latkes to baking sheet. Serve with Apple, Green Onion, and Jalapeño salsa.