Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This well-flavored dish nicely accompanies roasted fowl or meats. I would describe the flavor as mildly Middle-Eastern. NOTE: 600 g potatoes equals about 8 medium potatoes, and it is best if you can use potatoes of roughly equal size. If you must use large potatoes, quarter them.
- 600 g potatoes, peeled and sliced in half (see above note)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 300 ml water
- sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix (with your hands) the potatoes, onion, cumin, cinnamon, oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread this mixture evenly in a baking dish (I use a 20 cm by 26 cm).
- Pour the crushed tomatoes and any juices over the potatoes.
- Pour water into the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- After this time, reduce oven temperature to 180°C, remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the sauce has thickened.
Very easy to prepare & a different side dish for my family. I personally found the cinnamon flavor a little distracting and would reduce the amount next time. The dish had an unexpected sweetness. I also guessed at the oven temps as I am not familar with C temps. I baked at 375 & then reduced to 350. The dish was still a little watery after that length of time, although the potatoes were tender. I am glad I tried the recipe. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
These potatoes were very tasty and so easy to prepare. I served them along with lamb chops. Thanks
These are fabulous! Such a wonderful change from typical potato dishes which are usually so heavy. Smells SO good while it's cooking. I look forward to some leftovers for lunch tomorrow! Thanks, FlemishMinx, I loved this!