Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ensalada De Zanahoria Bar Bahia. Note: Here is a quite different carrot salad with Middle Eastern overtones-the carrots are lightly cooked and seasoned with garlic, oregano, and cumin. It comes from the exceptional Bar Bahia in Cadiz.
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, scraped, ends trimmed
- to taste chicken broth
- to taste salt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1 clove large garlic, mashed to a paste or put through a garlic press
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika, preferably Spanish style
- Prepare several hours in advance.
- Place the carrots in a saucepan with a mixture of water and chicken broth just barely to cover. Add a little salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 10 minutes (more or less depending on the thickness of the carrots), until just done but still slightly crisp.
- Cool and cut in 1/4-inch slices.
- In a cup mix together the vinegar, water, garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika, and salt. Fold gently into the carrots.
- Marinate for several hours or overnight.
Delicious! A couple of shortcuts - double the recipe, slice the carrots in your cuisinart, put the processor bowl in your microwave w/ a dash of water, cover and zap for 4 minutes. Drain, add to whisked dressing.
I loved this recipie. Easy, delicious and different. I will definite make this again. Thaks. Harlan