Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thin, chewy and fragrant with spice and citrus representing Morocco for ZWT 6. From Bon Appetit Tastes of the World. Please allow 1 hour for dough to rise.
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water (105F to 115F)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon peel (yellow part only)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Place warm water in bowl of heavy-duty mixer. Sprinkle yeast over and stir to combine. Let stand 10 minutes. Add oil, lemon peel, salt and ground cumin. Using dough hook attachment, gradually beat in flour. Continue beating 5 minutes. Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth dough forms, about 2 minutes (dough will be very soft).
- Lightly oil large bowl. Add dough; turn to coat. Cover with plastic and let rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Line 12x18-inch baking sheet with heavy-duty foil. Brush foil with oil. Place dough in pan. Using fingertips, press out dough, covering pan completely (dough will be very thin). Sprinkle with cumin seeds and sesame seeds. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Loosen bread from foil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I had fun with this! added 1 teaspoon honey and used 1/2 teaspoon salt. Made in the bread machine dough cycle. Then removed divided into 4 oiled both sides sprinkled the seeds on one side. Then I tossed it right on the grates of my grill. When the bread was marked with grill marks I flipped and continued to brown the other side. Resulting in some crispy and smokey flavor. Thanks! Made for ZWT6
Great bread! I elected to form the dough into 4 smaller ovals. Two were used the next day to make Moroccan Flatbread Pizzas (Can Be Ww) . I did reduce the salt to 1 tsp, but otherwise followed the recipe. Thank you for sharing! Made for ZWT6.
Loved this! You have a winner here cookiedog! Cumin is perfect in this. I reduced the salt to 2 teaspoons. Served with Preserved Lime Tabbouleh Salad for our NA*ME lunch. Made for an Unruly by an Unruly during ZWT6 as part of the Sand & Spices - Meatless Meets Middle East Challenge.