Recipe by Lavender Lynn
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jack McDavid, Jack’s Firehouse, Philadelphia, on behalf of the American Dairy Association
Top Review by Jostlori
TEN stars! First, I should say I'm not a "melty cheese" kind of person. I don't like melty cheese. However, DH does. So these quesadillas were a nod to him. They are, simply, fantastic. All of the individual pieces of this recipe stand alone. The chicken is moist, flavorful, and I could eat it on the plate all by itself. The mushrooms - well- they're mushrooms and onions. What could be bad? Together they're a match made in heaven. And the sour cream-basil sauce? Heaven on earth. I ate more of everything than I should have. And I will make the sour cream sauce all by itself - to put on almost anything. Delish! Thanks so much for posting!!! Made for Culinary Quest 2015 by a Toasted Tourist.
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless (about 1 1/2 pounds)
For sauted mushrooms
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 2 portabello mushroom caps, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, salt and pepper, to taste
For basil sour cream
- 236.59 ml basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 473.18 ml sour cream
- 6 (72 inch) flour tortillas
- 340.19 g cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- For chicken: In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. Rub chicken breasts with spice mixture. Grill chicken 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from heat and thinly slice; set aside.
- For sautéed mushrooms: Heat butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For basil sour cream: Combine basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until pureed. Mix into sour cream. Set aside.
- To assemble quesadillas: Pre-heat grill or griddle to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place tortillas on a flat surface. Generously sprinkle cheese onto one half of each tortilla. Combine chicken and mushrooms; divide evenly on top of the cheese. Sprinkle cheese on top of the chicken and mushroom mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold each tortilla in half (creating a half circle shaped quesadilla). Cook each quesadilla about 4-6 minutes, until cheese is melted and the tortilla begins to brown and crisp. Flip tortilla and repeat about 4-6 minutes. Remove quesadilla from heat and cool about 30 seconds before cutting into 3 triangle slices. Serve with basil sour cream.