Recipe courtesy of Chef Jack McDavid, Jack’s Firehouse, Philadelphia, on behalf of the American Dairy Association
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless (about 1 1/2 pounds)
For sauted mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 portabello mushroom caps, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, salt and pepper, to taste
For basil sour cream
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sour cream
- 6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- For chicken: In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. Rub chicken breasts with spice mixture. Grill chicken 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from heat and thinly slice; set aside.
- For sautéed mushrooms: Heat butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For basil sour cream: Combine basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until pureed. Mix into sour cream. Set aside.
- To assemble quesadillas: Pre-heat grill or griddle to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place tortillas on a flat surface. Generously sprinkle cheese onto one half of each tortilla. Combine chicken and mushrooms; divide evenly on top of the cheese. Sprinkle cheese on top of the chicken and mushroom mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold each tortilla in half (creating a half circle shaped quesadilla). Cook each quesadilla about 4-6 minutes, until cheese is melted and the tortilla begins to brown and crisp. Flip tortilla and repeat about 4-6 minutes. Remove quesadilla from heat and cool about 30 seconds before cutting into 3 triangle slices. Serve with basil sour cream.