- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 2.5 (15 ounce) cans black beans, with their liquid
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- sour cream or plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over moderate heat.
- Add in onion, carrots, cumin, and red pepper flakes; stir/saute until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the broth, beans w/ liquid, orange juice, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to a simmer and cook until the carrots are tender and the flavors combined, 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup until it is mostly smooth but still has some texture.
- Serve with sour cream or yogurt.