1/2 Photos of Cumin and Curry Leaf Creamy Risotto
I love Indian food flavors, especially curry leaves and cumin seeds. This recipe is a result of my endeavor to have more delicious, fulfilling, whole protein recipes at hand. Modify to fit your tastes (e.g. swap coconut milk for milk?), and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (not the dark)
- 15 curry leaves (washed, dried, and julienned)
- 2 green chilies (washed, dried, and sliced thin)
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds (jeera seeds)
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 onions, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cups jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 4 cups milk
- 15 ounces chickpeas, canned (or other legume of your choice)
- 1Prepare for the milk to be warmed through either in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave.
- 2In a large pot over medium heat, add the grapeseed oil, sesame oil, curry leaves and green chilies, and saute for about 2 minutes until it sizzles. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and allow to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Watch closely--don't allow it to burn.
- 3Add the onions, mushrooms, and carrots to the pot. Lightly salt. Saute until onions are translucent. Do not allow to burn.
- 4Add rice to the pot. Stir well to combine. Saute mixture for a few minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Adjust heat to medium-low.
- 5Begin adding milk, a little at a time (1/4 - 1/2 cup or so), stirring constantly. Add milk in small amounts for about 20 minutes until rice has absorbed enough moisture to adequately cook through. If you have added all 4 cups of milk and your rice is still not cooked, continue, adding water. Taste and adjust salt. Stir in drained, rinsed chickpeas.
- 6Serve to suit your tastes--perhaps topped with chopped cilantro, chopped fresh onions, tomatoes, cucumber, yogurt, raita, etc.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cumin and Curry Leaf Creamy Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.3
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 248.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: