Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted for ZWT6 Great Britain leg of tour.
Make and share this Cumberland Stuffed Herrings With Mustard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F Spray baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Bring the milk to a boil and add roe. Simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the milk. Finely chop the roe and reserve.
- Open the fish out on a board, inner side down and press lightly down the middle to loosen the backbone. The backbone should be pulled away gently. Discard. Turn herrings over.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, onion and the reserved roe. Spread mixture on the opened herrings. Fold together and lay, folded, in baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes until tender.
- While the herrings bake, combine butter, flour and reserved milk in a saucepan. Whisk together until smooth. Heat, whisking constantly, over medium heat, until sauce thickens and boils. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes, making sure sauce does not burn.
- Stir in the mustard and vinegar and serve alongside the herrings.
- If English mustard is unavailable, use any mustard with a definite "bite" to offset the oiliness of the flesh.