Recipe by BothFex
My mother makes this every Christmas to give out with her cookie packages. I love it and can never get enough.
Top Review by deytime
My 8 year old son and I made this quick bread, while stranded inside during a recent ice storm. It was fun, easy and DELICIOUS! While making the orange zest, I grated enough for several loaves and plan on making another to serve for Christmas morning breakfast!
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, sliced in half
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves (Key ingredient- DO NOT OMIT OR SUBSTITUTE)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Slice cranberries.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix together juice, peel, butter, egg, clove and vanilla.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients.
- Mix until combined.
- Fold in nuts and berries.
- Pour into greased bread pan (only grease the bottom of the pan- not the sides. This avoids the bread from falling in the center which creates a"sad streak.") and bake 55-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan before inverting.