Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
My mother makes this every Christmas to give out with her cookie packages. I love it and can never get enough.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, sliced in half
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves (Key ingredient- DO NOT OMIT OR SUBSTITUTE)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Slice cranberries.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix together juice, peel, butter, egg, clove and vanilla.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients.
- Mix until combined.
- Fold in nuts and berries.
- Pour into greased bread pan (only grease the bottom of the pan- not the sides. This avoids the bread from falling in the center which creates a"sad streak.") and bake 55-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan before inverting.
My 8 year old son and I made this quick bread, while stranded inside during a recent ice storm. It was fun, easy and DELICIOUS! While making the orange zest, I grated enough for several loaves and plan on making another to serve for Christmas morning breakfast!
Ground cloves works magic with this fruit and nut bread. The perfect amount of clove flavor heightens the orange taste and accents the cranberry. I served it warm, topped with vanilla ice cream for dessert!
So yummy! It's really a different kind of taste, it's tangy, citrusy, and tropical. My entire family loves it, especially when topped with lemon glaze.