1/5 Photos of Cullen Skink - Scottish Smoked Haddock and Potato Soup
French Tart's Note:
The name of this rich, tasty soup comes from the fishing village of Cullen, in Morayshire in Northern Scotland. "Skink" is a soup made originally from a shin of beef - in fact the word "skink" means soup or stew - but in this case, the main ingredient is smoked haddock with potatoes and onions. Finnan haddock is often called Finnan haddie, and is the traditional ingredient in the famous Edwardian breakfast dish of Kedgeree. Cullen Skink is sometimes called Smoked Haddock Chowder when served in bistros and restaurants. We love to serve this delicious soup as an elegant and comforting starter for our Burns Night Tribute Supper; this is also a wonderful soup to be served as a main course - with crusty bread and butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover the smoked haddock with water, in a shallow pan, skin side down. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4/5 minutes, turning once.
- 2Take the haddock from the pan and remove the skin and bones.
- 3Break up the fish into flakes, return to the stock and add the chopped onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- 4Simmer for another 15 minutes. Strain, remove the bay leaf but retain the stock and fish.
- 5Add the milk to the fish stock and bring back to the boil.
- 6Add enough mashed potato to create the consistency you prefer (don't be afraid to make it rich and thick!).
- 7Add the fish and reheat.
- 8Check for seasoning.
- 9Just before serving, add the butter in small pieces so that it runs through the soup.
- 10Serve with chopped parsley on top, accompanied by triangles of toast.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cullen Skink - Scottish Smoked Haddock and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.9
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 216.5 mg
- Sodium 2033.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 64.6 g