Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this in one of the hundreds of food magazines I have lying around. It has become a family favorite. Especially when I made it diabetic friendly by replacing the sugar with Splenda granular.
- 5 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- In a large bowl toss vegetables together with the salt. Cover and refigerate for 2 hours. Combine Splenda and vinegar. Pour over vegetables, toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon.
I made a portion of this recipe. I liked the salad, but would make changes if making again. I sliced the carrots paper thin on a mandoline, but they were still crunchy. Next time I would blanch them slightly. I greatly reduced the amount of splenda and found a few spoonfuls were more than enough for us. The salad did hold well so the leftovers wre enjoyed too. Made for Spring 2011 Pick A Chef. :-)