Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is a refreshing, Asian inspired cucumber salad. I got this from the Williams Sonoma "Cooking from the Farmers Market" cookbook. The sugar listed in the ingredients list was not in the original recipe, but I added it to suit my taste. Cook time is maximum marinating time.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 medium cucumbers, slices paper thin
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the rice vinegar, peanut oil, soy sauce, sesame oil and crushed red pepper and sugar (if using) and whisk well.
- Add cucumbers and red onion, and toss them in dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.
- Can be served chilled or at room temperature.
Thanks so much for this interesting twist of a salad. I did not have cilantro, and I did add the sugar. I served this as a salad with fried rice noodles and walnut chicken meal. I will try this one again for sure.