Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From "Good Food From a Japanese Temple". This is guest food, not daily fare, part of the cuisine developed in Kyoto temples housing offspring of the imperial family. Make sure you use a hot mustard. You can mix some dry ground mustard in hot water to make a suitable paste.
- 2 japanese cucumbers, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon prepared hot mustard
- Place sliced cucumbers in a bowl, add the salt, and toss with fingers until slices are coated. Let rest 10 minutes, then rinse well and gently squeeze out moisture. Slices should be slightly limp but still crisp.
- Blend the remaining ingredients, increasing the sugar if you prefer a sweeter dressing. Add cucumber slices and toss to coat with dressing.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Does not keep, should be eaten immediately.