Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This may not be exactly what you are looking for but it is a great side dish. Cucumbers and Onions in Sour Cream
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- white pepper
- Peel and slice the cucumber very thin.
- Chop the green onions (including the tops). Mix with the cucumber.
- Sprinkle the salt and sugar over all and toss lightly with a fork to distribute sugar and salt evenly over the cucumber slices.
- Let stand 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly, pressing cucumber to extract as much moisture as possible. Stir the vinegar into the sour cream.
- Add a dash of white pepper.
- Pour over cucumber and onion.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. NOTE: I usually double this recipe as it is better the longer it sits in the refrigerator.
- I also like more onion so I usually use 3 to 4 if they are small.
Made this today with my first cucumber from the garden. Instead of using sour cream, I always use Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream in recipes. It is easy to make. Line a mesh strainer with cheese cloth. Put into the strainer a container (save the container) of yogurt (I use non-fat plain) and let it drain for several hours, or overnight in fridg. squeeze out any remaining moisture by bringing up the cheese cloth around the glob in the strainer. It will be thick and creamy, just like sour cream. Store it in the container you emptied it from. I used this in this recipe and it was wonderful. I only used 1 Tbsp of sugar.
This is a classic local Volga German dish. Quadruple the ingredients and you'll be in good shape to start with. I am sure there are variations all over the USA.
I made this recipe exactly as written, although I used malt vinegar as suggested by one other reviewer. I served it with grilled salmon when I had a friend over for dinner. We both loved it. There was a good serving left which I ate the next day. Yumm. I will be making this lots for myself, especially in the summer. Great cool side dish. Thankyou B&B Adams