Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The other recipes I've seen have sugar and some have sour cream. This one is diabetic friendly and has neither. It's from Cottage Living Magazine, 8/2007. The magazine says "This is a simple and essential summer recipe, good with everything and a great addition to cold salad platters. Be sure to taste a slice of each cucumber-a bitter one can ruin the whole salad".
- 9 cucumbers, about 2 1/2 lbs., scored and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- One tip to score the cucumber's skin is to run the tines of a fork from end to the other, working your eay around the entire cucmber.
- Put cucumber and onion in a large mixing bowl, and toss with 1 teaspoon salt and celery seeds.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and oil.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 3 days.
I made this with dill instead of celery seed, since I was out of it. I left out the oil too, to save calories. I sweetened it with a little Splenda. Terrific salad! Thanks for sharing the recipe.