Recipe by Oolala
The other recipes I've seen have sugar and some have sour cream. This one is diabetic friendly and has neither. It's from Cottage Living Magazine, 8/2007. The magazine says "This is a simple and essential summer recipe, good with everything and a great addition to cold salad platters. Be sure to taste a slice of each cucumber-a bitter one can ruin the whole salad".
Top Review by Pesto lover
I made this with dill instead of celery seed, since I was out of it. I left out the oil too, to save calories. I sweetened it with a little Splenda. Terrific salad! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 9 cucumbers, about 2 1/2 lbs., scored and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- One tip to score the cucumber's skin is to run the tines of a fork from end to the other, working your eay around the entire cucmber.
- Put cucumber and onion in a large mixing bowl, and toss with 1 teaspoon salt and celery seeds.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and oil.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 3 days.