Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 48 hrs
This is similar to the recipe that my mother made when I was young. It is easy although the actual prep time seems long, it actually takes little time.
- Peel cucumbers and slice thin.
- Layer in shallow dish, sprinkling each layer with salt.
- Let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain cucumbers and rinse.
- Let dry on paper towels.
- Slice onions thin.
- Mix gently with cucumber slices.
- Beat together the mayonnaise or salad dressing, sugar and vinegar until creamy.
- Stir into mixed cucumbers and onions.
- (The dressing should be plentiful so the salad is creamy. Increase amounts of dressing ingredients, proportionally, if needed).
Great recipe...tastes like what our grandmothers used to make...very creamy and not too vinegary! Yummy!
Easy to make - I used salt and sugar substitute, sourcream for dressing, rice vinegar and added some dill. I was looking for a good basic recipe and this is the best, even without the dill. Carol H., Naples, Fl.
This has a great taste, and it's so easy to make. I had forgotten about this "salad", thanks for the recipe and the reminder!