Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I NEED this stuff when I'm having spicy indian food. It's a cooling counterpoint to hot foods.
- 2 cucumbers
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds, roasted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon of fresh mint
- Peel the cucumbers, halve them lengthways and remove the seeds. Cut the cucumbers into small dice, sprinkle with salt and leave for 15 minutes, then drain away liquid and rinse the cucumbers quickly in cold water. Drain well.
- Combine with onion, yogurt, lemon juice and taste and see if more salt is required.
- Roast the cumin seeds in a dry pan, shaking pan or stirring constantly, until brown. Bruise or crush seeds and sprinkle over yogurt.
- Serve chilled, garnished with mint or cilantro.
This was wonderful; every my mother loved it! I used greek yogurt in the recipe. The only problem: One of the recipe items was missing from the ingredient list, and I didn't know it until I was in the midst of making it.