Recipe by Syrinx
According to David Scott's "Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookery", this easy salad is from Egypt, and is often served with the bean salad, "ful medames". I love it - it is fresh and summery, and delicious on a hot day. Feel free to reduce, or even omit, the onion if you don't like to eat it raw - the recipe still works well without it. Posted in the hope of joining the North African and Middle Eastern Tag game :-)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small mild onions (optional) or 1 medium mild onion (optional)
- 1 lettuce (I use cos, romaine or little gem, and you only need a few leaves per serving)
- 4 ounces feta cheese (100g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a few lettuce leaves (shredded) on each of four side plates.
- Slice the cucumber and onion very, very thinly, and divide the slices between the four plates, arranging them neatly on top of the lettuce.
- Chop the cheese very finely, and mix well with the olive oil, the juice of a lemon, the oregano and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber and onion on each plate, and serve.