Recipe by breezermom
Great fresh salad that uses early summer vegetables. Very colorful too! Cooking time is the time for soaking the onions.
Top Review by miarocks
This salad has long been a family favorite-- growing up in my family, it was a summer staple. My son could eat it every day! Great with grilled anything-- so easy to make. I vary the vinegar used, but usually have seasoned (sweetened) rice vinegar, sometimes with a few tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette added. Often I slice the cucumbers paper thin as they tend to absorb the vinegar/dressing flavor better. I season mine with salt, fresh ground pepper, dill, dried basil, and just a tad of Italian seasoning. Be sure to let it sit refrigerated for a time before serving so the flavors can develop. Keeps well in a covered refrigerator container for several days. Enjoy!
- 1 red onion, cut in 1/4 inch wedges
- 4 cucumbers, peeled and sliced in 1/2 inch rounds
- 3 roma tomatoes, cored and cut in 1/2 inch wedges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the red onion wedges in salted ice water for 30 minutes and then drain well.
- Put the onion, cucumbers, and tomatoes in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the vinegar, sugar, and canola oil in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add to the vegetables and toss well. Refrigerate.
- To serve, add the chopped parsley and toss.