Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great fresh salad that uses early summer vegetables. Very colorful too! Cooking time is the time for soaking the onions.
- 1 red onion, cut in 1/4 inch wedges
- 4 cucumbers, peeled and sliced in 1/2 inch rounds
- 3 roma tomatoes, cored and cut in 1/2 inch wedges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Soak the red onion wedges in salted ice water for 30 minutes and then drain well.
- Put the onion, cucumbers, and tomatoes in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the vinegar, sugar, and canola oil in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add to the vegetables and toss well. Refrigerate.
- To serve, add the chopped parsley and toss.
This salad has long been a family favorite-- growing up in my family, it was a summer staple. My son could eat it every day! Great with grilled anything-- so easy to make. I vary the vinegar used, but usually have seasoned (sweetened) rice vinegar, sometimes with a few tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette added. Often I slice the cucumbers paper thin as they tend to absorb the vinegar/dressing flavor better. I season mine with salt, fresh ground pepper, dill, dried basil, and just a tad of Italian seasoning. Be sure to let it sit refrigerated for a time before serving so the flavors can develop. Keeps well in a covered refrigerator container for several days. Enjoy!
This was great! Thanks for the idea about soaking the onions. They were still strong, but I feel like it made a big difference!
I cut everything in a lot smaller pieces than specified, but other than that I made it exactly as called for. It ended up swimming in dressing after sitting in the fridge for a couple hours, so if I'm going to make it again I might either use less dressing or I might serve it sooner after I made it. Thanks so much for the great recipe!
I threw in some iceberg lettuce and used my blender for the dressing.Nice and light salad.