Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from Epicurious.com and originally published the June 2006 issue of Gourmet magazine. This Vietnamese-inspired salad combines sweet pineapple and fiery serrano with cooling cucumber. This is a great side for RiffRaff's Grilled Vietnamese Chicken (Grilled Vietnamese Chicken).
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno chile, minced, including seeds
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise (often plastic-wrapped)
- 1⁄2 fresh pineapple, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cored, then sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- Mince garlic, then mash to a paste with salt using side of a large heavy knife.
- Whisk together lime juice and sugar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved, then whisk in oil, garlic paste, chile, and fish sauce (to taste).
- Add remaining ingredients, tossing to coat, and add salt to taste.
Yummo!!! Just threw this together at the last minute and - what a great salad! It was super easy and super fresh. Went a bit heavier with the fish sauce because we like the flavor, and used regular tomatoes because we can't get cherry tomatoes here. This is the most wonderful blend of flavors!!!
Excellent! Loved the flavors with marinated grilled chicken and pasta with peanut sauce. Will be making this again!!!
Gorgeous. I went light with the fish sauce and it was just totally perfect. Thank you!!!