Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Refreshing cucumber sandwiches perfect for a tea party.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon of mild French mustard
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 inch) cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- fresh ground white pepper
- creamed butter (see below)
- 20 slices bread
- Blend all ingredients for the creamed butter to a fine, soft, spreadable consistency (salt and pepper to taste).
- The cucumber must be cut as thin as possible, using a mandolin or a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Very lightly salt the slices and leave them to drain in a colander, lightly weighted with a plate, for 2 hours or so, pressing from time to time to get rid of the excess juices.
- Combined the slice and drained cucumbers with the olive oil, lemon juice and sugar and dredge through the freshly ground white pepper (do not add more salt).
- Butter 10 slices of bread with creamed butter.
- Layer the cucumbers on the butter bread and then press a second slice of bread firmly on to the top of the sandwich, crust and cut into appropriate shapes (should make 30 fingers or 40 squares or quarters).
I loved these tea sandwichs. The butter was very flavorful and tasty, while the cucumber filling was alive and fresh. An excellant little sandwich that I will make again. Thanks for sharing.