Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I tried different sauces but didn't find the taste I was looking for so I threw some stuff together and I was very happy with the results. If you try it and tweak it, let me know. I edited the recipe after reading the great suggestions.
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- 1 large cucumber (seeded, peeled and finely chopped, or grated)
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper (to taste)
- Put the cucumber into a colander and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes to allow extra juices to escape the cucumber.
- Gently squeeze the cucumber in a paper or cloth towel.
- Put everything a bowl and mix well (I don't rinse the cucumber).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours prior to using (if you have time).
- A turn or two in the food processor would yield a nice smooth sauce.
- Good on anything, especially Gyros.
I just tried this sauce to go with some gyros I made and it is really a wonderful sauce. I am leaving a review because I wanted to share a tip for the sauce that I ended up using. Being that it is winter, I could not find a decent cucumber in our local store, but I do grow the herb called "salad brunet". It is not a well known herb, but when it is fully mature, the leaves, that look like parsley, taste like cucumbers. I substituted 1/4 cup of the chopped leaves instead of the cukes and no one could tell it did not have real cukes in it!!! I think this is a great substitution until I can get the garden up and running again, as I do like the chunkiness of real cukes.
This sauce is delicious. My husband loves it on his gyros! I agree with jhorn......it is crucial to get rid of as much cucumber juice as possible. <br/>TIP: I food processed the cucumber first and then let it sit in mesh strainer...alot of water drained out quickly! And then I had enough cucumber juice to make some cucumber water.
This is a great sauce and very close to what I get at my local restaurant. Very important to let cucumber rest or the sauce will be loose and runny.