I never follow recipe's.. so this was one that after a lot of taste testing, I stuck with. Everyone loves it!! It's a great appetizer for the holidays as it is so light & not filling. But I have made these for my kids for a summer brunch or lunch also. I have never tried a lower fat version because I despise fat free mayonnaise & cream cheese but let me know if you try something & it works. I have simplified it since my first 10 times making this recipe as well IT WILL SERVE 12-20 most will want 2nds, trust me :) Enjoy :O)
- Peel cucumbers & remove the seeds (the easiest way is cut them in half lengthwise and scoop with a spoon.) chop cukes into very small pieces put aside.
- Combine cream cheese, mayo & all spices in a large bowl & mix well. You can do this by hand or a mixer. It's ok to have lumps. it won't matter.
- Add chopped cucumber into the mixture.
- Cut crust off of bread and carefully put into large zip shut baggies to keep from drying out. You can also use seasonal cookie cutters for a cute touch.
- YOU WILL GET MORE FLAVOR IF YOU MAKE THIS THE NIGHT BEFORE, TO LET ALL INGREDIENTS SET. But it is still delicious made the day of.
- Serve the bread separate from spread and have your company make their own little sandwiches. Because nobody wants mushy ones :)
- ** You may also slice the cucumbers very thin & spread the mix right onto the bread moments before serving. (but the other way is a LOT easier and tastes the same.).