Quintessentially English high tea sandwiches - just how Oscar Wilde's Lady Bracknell would have had them served. Cucumber sandwiches are one of England's most traditional tea sandwiches, thinly sliced cucumber on good buttered bread. The crusts are always removed. I found this recipe on an English website and have posted it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. The ingredients and directions have made concessions to what is now available - such as seedless cucumbers. A delicious really low fat sandwich!
- Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthways, and slice crossways as thinly as possible.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and orange zest and stir until the mixture is creamy and the ingredients are well-blended.
- Spread each slice of white bread with the butter mixture, arrange several slices of cucumber on each slice and top with the whole-wheat bread, and cut each sandwich into 4 triangles.
- To serve: Arrange the sandwiches on a platter, alternating white and brown sides of the sandwiches and garnish with mint sprigs and orange slices.
- On cucumbers: Of course traditionally the cucumber is peeled, but to modern tastes, many cucumbers available - such as Lebanese or continental, just those names alone would be enough to have Lady Bracknell turning in her grave! - really don't need peeling.
Made for Gimme Five Tag. We were'nt crazy about the orange flavour...we do however really love cucumber sandwiches as a rule and the mix of white and brown bread was very nice.
I really enjoyed these tasty little sandwiches. They made a wonderful light lunch. The cucumbers were crisp and fresh, while the butter was citrusy and salty. A truly lovely combination. Thank you for sharing.
I made these sandwiches as I had lots of cumcumbers in my fridge, my DH is not fond of cucumbers unless they are chopped small in a salad, oh well more for me lol! The orange zest is something I would have never thought of adding to a cucumber sandwich, it really adds a nice flavor though! I'll enjoy these for an afternoon snack, thanks bluemoon!...Kitten:)