Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a vegan no salt recipe from The No Salt Cookbook. If your diet can tolerate salt, simply add salt to taste! Feel free to throw in some onions and some red peppers too!
- 3⁄4 cup tahini
- 2 room temperature lemons, juice of
- 1 minced garlic clove (I add 4 myself)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (I add 2 pinches then put some on top too)
- fresh ground pepper
- water (optional)
- 2 cucumbers
- Stir the tahini and lemon juice together until well blended. Add the rest of the ingredients except the cucumbers and stir to blend.
- Allow the mixture to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes. (If you put it in the refrigerator, it will thicken up). If it is too thick to pour, you can use it as a dip for the cucumbers OR you can thin it out with room temperature water (NOT cold) which is what I do.
- Peel the cucumbers and slice them into rounds. Put them in a large bowl and pour the dressing over them. Toss to coat.
I wanted to add a tip I learned from an old Lebanese cookbook I have.Put the tahini in a small bowl first,slowly add a tablespoon or two of very warm water.Stir vigorously with a fork.This makes the tahini creamy and smooth and easier to add to any dish you are making.
Tastes yummy 4 stars but healthy stuff makes it 5 along with my kids DD1 (5 years old) and DD2 (15 months) liking it (yes I have healthy children alhamdulillah (praise b e to God)). I used organic tahini by Nut`s to You, water in the tahini like a reviewer mentioned and another recipe we love, recipe/149565, 2 organic lemons (they were cold from the refrigerator), 4 organic garlic cloves for our health, same amout of cayenne pepper as the poster uses (also for the health), organic English cucumbers, plus the rest of the ingredients. Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game 2013.
My husband liked this "ok" enough to eat half of the recipe, but I didn't want more than two bites. This dressing is too strong to just pour over cucumbers. I think that if it were thinned with more lemon juice and water, it would make a good dip for cukes, veges or pita chips. ZWT8