Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A cool and refreshing accompaniment to fish or meat dishes, this classic cucumber salad is so simple and good! You can sub dill for the chives, if desired. Recipe is an old one that has been handed down through the generations, from my mother and grandmother.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1⁄2 cup good quality sour cream, chilled
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Peel cucumbers and slice them paper thin (or as thinly as possible), and drain if watery.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream and chives. Add cucumber slices and stir gently to coat.
- Season to taste with salt (go easy on the salt) and pepper.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill for up to one day.
Mmm, a creamy, tasty delight!!!! Perfect for a warm spring or summers day! The chives and sour cream go so well with the cucumber and even though the ingredients are simple, the finished salads is not flat in any way. It has subtle layers of flavours mingled into one creamy yummyness. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this authentic German salad recipe with us. Now I can tell my mum that I can make this traditional dish, too. :) Made and reviewed for The Herb of the Month Tag Game in the French Forum and the Diabetic Pool Party May 2010.
I made half the recipe last night so they would be nice and chilled for lunch today. I used my new mandoline to slice the cukes and it was so quick and easy! I used dill in place of chives and this was so delicious with a turkey sandwich for lunch today. Thanks for posting Bec. Made for I Recommend Tag.
We found this rather bland and it did not remind at all of my mother's German Cucumber Salad. However I doctored it with some vinegar and dill. So thanks for the base and that's why I gave 3 stars.