Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my favorite cucumber salad. It's really refreshing served with a spicy entree. I do cut back to about 1/2 cup sugar and like to use black sesame seeds to give it another dash of color. From the RSVP section of Bon Appetit magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunk
- 1 cucumber, 1/3 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, julienned
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 1 head lettuce, leaves separated (leaf lettuce)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Bring first 4 ingredients to boil in heavy small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer syrup to large bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- Add pineapple to syrup.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Add cucumber and next 3 ingredients to pineapple mixture; stir to coat.
- Line plates with lettuce leaves.
- Spoon salad atop lettuce.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Very tasty salad. I decreased the sugar as suggested and added a touch more salt.
Fabulous Salad! I doubled the amount of pineapple and just couldn't get enough. This would be great served at a barbque but I plan on making it all summer long. ZWT 4 Go Jefes!
Very attractive visually, but the dressing really was not to my taste - sweet enough to be cloying, yet harsh from the white vinegar. I might try this same combination of fruit and vegetables, with maybe a splash of rice wine.