Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
This is a recipe by Karen Barnaby, one of my favourite Canadian Chefs. Karen is the Executive Chef at the Fish House in Vancouver's Stanley Park. I admire Ms. Barnaby's easy style and her flavour combinations. This recipe is simple to make but packs a big WOW. Serve it as part of a Thai or Indian dinner, or as a simple side for grilled chicken, shrimp or fish.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 English cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black sesame seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine the coconut and the boiling water. Let sit until cool. Then drain the water from the coconut.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, peanuts, chili sauce and sesame seeds. Add the coconut and mix well.
- In a cup, mix the lime juice vegetable oil and salt. Pour over the cucumber mixture and serve.