Recipe by Amis
I came up with this one night when all I had was cucumbers and it seemed so boring. The onions in this were a last minute addition when my 1 yo daughter came toddling in with a couple from my garden. My kids loved and kept asking for more. Not bad for the veg. Note: For best favor, this should be chilled overnight or at least several hours. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 2 large lemon cucumbers
- 3 green onions (including greens) or 3 scallions (including greens)
- 3 ounces peppercorn and herbed feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- I peeled the cukes, but you don't have too. The yellow peel would add a nice splash of color. Slice them thin and put them in a pretty bowl.
- Note: If you don't want a lot of excess liquid, slice your cukes and let them sit overnight in a strainer. Extra liquid, if any, will drain from the them.
- If you got your onions fresh, as I did, you'll need to clean and trim them. Slice them very thin, including the greens. The darker green from the onions looks very pretty against the pale cucumbers. If you don't have any onion greens, 2 tbsp fresh chives will do.
- For the dressing:.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar and water. The meaurements I included here are approximate. You are welcome to make this to taste.
- Pour it over your salad and mix it well.
- Chill it overnight or at least several hours so the vinegar & onion flavors will combine. Stir it a couple of times to make sure the flavors are well incorporated.
- Crumble your feta over the salad before serving or combine it at the beginning to let it's flavors combine as well. The feta I used was what I had on hand so you're welcome to use any you wish.
- I've thought of adding some almonds or walnuts for an extra crunch.