Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Cucumber Salad is served all over Scandinavia, especially in summer. I got this recipe from an old cookbook given to me by my mother, and the recipe states "Made this way this Cucumber salad will not give you indigestion".
- 1 cucumber, medium
- 100 ml vinegar (Danish Heidelberg suggested)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- chopped chives (optional) or dill (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash the cucumber and if the skin is tough, peel it. Slice thinly and place into a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Toss to spread the salt evenly, then place a heavy weight on top of the cucumber mix and leave for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the vinegar, water and sugar together and season with a little pepper. The dressing should taste fairly sweet and not too sharp.
- Squeeze the cucumber in a cheesecloth (or drain very well) to remove all the liquid. Place the cucumber in a serving bowl and pour over the dressing. Leave for a half an hour in fridge before serving.
- Add chopped chives or dill before serving if using.
This was a nice, light salad, and went perfectly with the other selections I made for a Scandinavian buffet. I doubled the recipe and used unseasoned rice wine vinegar and dill instead of chives. I will make this again, as we all enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Tasted like a light pickle - very refreshing.
Fresh chives from the garden, cukes from our CSA box and I chose white balsamic vinegar. Reviewed for Make My Recipe Downunder.