Recipe by Girl from India
This is coastal Indian fare. Tangy, sweet and delicious. Adapted from the Femina.
Top Review by Rita~
This was interesting! Spicy, Cruncy, Sweet and cooling!Cilantro is one of my favorite herbs, very cooling, vibrate!. So for me it`s got to be good! 1/2 teaspoon of tamarind paste [so easy] is what I used. I will go for more next time I make this.
- 2 cups cucumbers, diced
- 2 green chilies (or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tamarind pulp (less to taste depending on how much tang you like)
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds, roasted
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- jaggery ((preferably)) or brown sugar, to taste
- 6 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind the green chillies, tamarind, grated coconut, roasted mustard seeds and cilantro together with salt and jaggery/ sugar to taste in a litle water to facilitate smooth grinding.
- Heat oil and when hot add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and the red chilli and heat till the mustard seeds splutter and the red chilli turns aromatic.
- Mix the ground paste with the cucumber pieces and pour the tempering over.
- Serve immediately.