Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sliced, slightly pickled cucumbers are equally good as a refreshing salad or as a condiment. This recipe is reminiscent of French-style cucumbers, but the little added spice makes the difference!
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced very thin. (preferably European cucumbers because they have less seeds than many that can be found in North Amer)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar or 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or 3 tablespoons japanese apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- paprika, as much as you wish for flavor and color
- 4 tablespoons green onions, minced (optional)
- The Salad: Place sliced cucumbers in a shallow dish.
- With your hands, mix the salt into the cucumbers.
- Cover and let stand for at least thirty minutes.
- The Dressing: While the cucumber are marinating, prepare the dressing which consists of water, vinegar, sugar and paprika.
- Squeeze out all the juice from the cucumbers AND RINSE WELL to remove excess salt.
- Mix the dressing into the cucumbers.
- To serve, it's nice to sprinkle the green onions over the cucumbers, if you like.
- This will keep for several days in the fridge.
A wonderful crisp taste of summer! Love the crispness and easy put together. it went perfectly with our grilled teriaki beef skewers, a delightful supper on a beautiful spring evening on the patio, Thanks for posting a real "do again" crisp salad.
Crispy, Fresh, easy to make cucumber dish. Made for Summer salad photo event.
Excellent accompaniment to some sweet/spicey ribs done on the grill today. Another "cucumber keeper"! I used the small Kirby cukes, as they're my fave, and they also have small seeds. I've done cukes in a similar way many times, but I think the paprika added a unique flavor that I'll repeat.